Okay, so I totally get why skiing does not sound appealing to many people. Probably because it’s freezing, expensive, and there is a certain amount of risk involved.
I would like to clarify why skiing is actually one of the most amazing and rewarding sports in the world.
1) Skiing is a social sport – Unlike most other sports, skiing is a great way to meet friends, talk, gossip and laugh. There is plenty of time for chattering while riding the lift and you still get a great workout on the way down. Whether you are shouting out “single!” or socializing during après ski, you’re bound to meet some great people while having some awesome times.
2) Skiing is enjoyable with the whole family – what other sport can a family ranging from toddlers to grandmas actually ENJOY participating in together?
3) Skiing gives you the best view with zero effort- Besides backcountry skiing, chairlifts take you to new heights with spectacular views that will take your breath away. This totally makes up for the cold days.
4) Winter is the longest season- From late November to April, skiing gives those countries susceptible to cabin fever or seasonal affective disorder (SAD) a healthy outlet and promotes active living.
5) You can eat and drink all you want – unlike that last family vacation in Mexico where you gained 15 pounds, skiing can burn 500-700 calories an hour (depending if you spent that hour on the side of the hill gabbing or eating a poutine in the cafeteria). Plus being in the cold 7 hours a day makes your body work extra hard to stay warm.
6) Skiing has no limits (except snow…)– skiing leads to endless possibilities of travelling in your home area and around the world every month of the year. Every place you ski gives a unique experience with new people. Weather you are backcountry skiing in Argentina, cross-country skiing in Norway, or heli-skiing British Columbia, the sky is your limit. And when we run out of snow… well there’s always those indoor ski facilities!
7) Skiing has the best fashion – It’s the year 2013 and nowhere else can you routinely wear clothing from the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s and not be considered unfashionable. The older and tackier the better! Plus most people look better in their ski clothes than a bathing suit…
8) Skiing is cool and always will be – There’s a reason why actions scenes, like James Bond, often use skiing as their mode of transportation. It’s because skiing is cool and bad *ss.
9) Recreational skiing is non-competitive – There are no winners or losers in skiing. If you make it down the hill, you are a winner!
10) Skiing is a lifelong sport that is meant to be passed on – One of the most important and worthy points about skiing is it is a lifelong sport that can be learned and mastered at any age. Children can learn young, ski for many decades, and pass it on to their children. To be able to share a family legacy of skiing is a lifelong gift that is irreplaceable.